SDTA ScholarshipsThe South Dakota Telecommunications Association (SDTA) annually awards scholarships under two separate programs or scholarship funds administered by the South Dakota Community Foundation, those two programs/funds include our "SDTA Memorial Scholarships" and our "Brian Meyer Memorial Scholarships."
This year, for the fall 2020 college semester, (SDTA) will be awarding two scholarships of $2,000 under its Memorial Scholarship Program. The deadline to apply for these Scholarships is May 31, 2020. To be eligible for the available Memorial Scholarship awards, you must have plans to attend or already be attending a college as a full-time student (taking at least 12 semester credit hours or its equivalent) and meet the following criteria:
- Have a High School Diploma or GED equivalent;
- Be accepted into or attending a multi-year program degree at any accredited technical college or other accredited post-secondary higher education institution in South Dakota for the fall 2020 semester;
- Be majoring in a degree/program or field of study that is useful in the telecommunications or broadband industry or which significantly relies on the use of broadband services and related technologies (see examples of majors eligible for this scholarship below); and
- Be a customer/member or have a parent or legal guardian who is a customer/member of a SDTA member company (see service area map here).
*Previous SDTA Memorial Scholarship recipients are not eligible to apply.
Examples of eligible majors or fields of study for the SDTA Memorial Scholarship include, but are not limited to: Telecommunications; WiFi and Broadband Technologies; Information Systems Technology; Satellite Communications; Health Information Technology; Office Technology Specialist; Programming Specialist; Network Specialist; Engineering (Computer Science or Systems, Electrical, CAD, Software, Industrial, Communications Systems, Network Security); Technologies or Computers (Communications Systems Engineering Technologies, Computer Programming, Computer Software Specialist, Computer Systems or Software, Computer Applications, Utilities Technologies, Network Technician, Internet Apps Developer, Laser/Electro-Optics, Marketing, Network Administration, System Administrator); Technology Education; and Communication Arts (Graphic Design or Mass Communications, Commercial Arts, Multimedia/Web Development.)
The scholarship application can be completed online by clicking here, submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed hard-copy to: SDTA, PO Box 57, Pierre, SD 57501. Applications are available online, from any South Dakota post-secondary institution student financial aid office, the SDTA office, or any SDTA member company.
Award selections will be announced on or about July 15th.
The Memorial Scholarship Program and Brian Meyer Memorial Scholarship programs are supported by SDTA and its member companies, including all of the following community-based rural broadband providers operating in South Dakota:
- Alliance Communications
- Beresford Municipal Telephone
- Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Telephone Authority
- Faith Municipal Telephone
- Fort Randall Telephone
- Golden West Telecommunications
- Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative
- James Valley Telecommunications
- Kennebec Telephone Company
- Midstate Communications
- RC Technologies
- Santel Communications
- Swiftel Communications
- TrioTel Communications
- Valley Telecommunications
- Venture Communications
- West River Cooperative Telephone
- West River Telecommunications Cooperative